An Incredible Year
My last post was August of last year, and my blog was nearing one full year without any activity. I foolishly thought that I would actually have the time to keep blogging while I was in business school. Boy was I wrong! As I pack my apartment up so I can move back to NY for the summer I can't help but reflect on this year.
1st year of business school recap
I met so many amazing people this year from a female fighter pilot, biological warfare researcher, terrorism financial forensic analyst, you name it! My classmates are amazing and I am in great company.
I held true to my creedo to challenge myself. Business school provided many opportunities for that. I went from knowing nothing about the field I wanted to go into in August, to having 5 offers for an internship in that field by October. Two of those offers were at the foremost firms in the US.
There were times this past year when I wanted to cry out of homesickness, a sense of inadequacy and just plain being tired of working so hard. But like everything else, it passed and I am still in the game.
I traveled to far away places I never imagined I would see. I visited Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam in March. I saw Angkor Wat at sunset, crawled into tunnels built by the Vietcong and learned the plight of a people stifled by a corrupt government. I visited South Africa, Botswana and Zambia last week. I talked to people in Soweto about what it means to be black in a post-Apartheid South Africa and learned that they still have a long up hill battle. I met the founder of a school and orphanage for children in Zambia and learned of what children were forced to do with no other means of sustaining themselves. I talked to a worker in Botswana who was educated in the US, but returned home only to take a job in tourism as his only option. My horizons are widened and the world is becoming smaller and more accesible.
I climbed a small mountain when I didn't think I could. I traveled 2 miles down into the earth and felt the pressure on my lungs - to understand what it meant to be a miner.
As I said before, I challenged myself this year and rose to the occassion. I have grown as a person and hope to continue to do so. It truly has been an amazing year.
1st year of business school recap
I met so many amazing people this year from a female fighter pilot, biological warfare researcher, terrorism financial forensic analyst, you name it! My classmates are amazing and I am in great company.
I held true to my creedo to challenge myself. Business school provided many opportunities for that. I went from knowing nothing about the field I wanted to go into in August, to having 5 offers for an internship in that field by October. Two of those offers were at the foremost firms in the US.
There were times this past year when I wanted to cry out of homesickness, a sense of inadequacy and just plain being tired of working so hard. But like everything else, it passed and I am still in the game.
I traveled to far away places I never imagined I would see. I visited Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam in March. I saw Angkor Wat at sunset, crawled into tunnels built by the Vietcong and learned the plight of a people stifled by a corrupt government. I visited South Africa, Botswana and Zambia last week. I talked to people in Soweto about what it means to be black in a post-Apartheid South Africa and learned that they still have a long up hill battle. I met the founder of a school and orphanage for children in Zambia and learned of what children were forced to do with no other means of sustaining themselves. I talked to a worker in Botswana who was educated in the US, but returned home only to take a job in tourism as his only option. My horizons are widened and the world is becoming smaller and more accesible.
I climbed a small mountain when I didn't think I could. I traveled 2 miles down into the earth and felt the pressure on my lungs - to understand what it meant to be a miner.
As I said before, I challenged myself this year and rose to the occassion. I have grown as a person and hope to continue to do so. It truly has been an amazing year.

2 Comments:
Wow long time no read! You've done so much and it sounds like you're having a fabulous time! Half of my friends who've gone to business school raved about how much fun they had.
Cool. And yes, secret agents are sometimes fashionably late.
Post a Comment
<< Home