Back from Mars
Wow! (blowing dust off blog) It's been a while. I don't even know where to begin.
I've been in the abyss known as the business school application process. And boy is that mess DEEEEEEEEP!
RECAP:
After my birthday, I hunkered down and began applying to six business schools which will remain nameless. I traveled during the month of October and November to their various diversity recruiting weekends and met loads of wonderful supportive people who have since become my therapists and confidants. I also took the GMAT not once, not twice but a whopping 4 times. Yup, that's right I like punishment. After getting my apps out of the way, I laid in wait for the decisions to roll in. This is where my life spiraled into a terrible neurosis of checking my e-mail every five seconds and logging onto my application account to see the word "SUBMITTED" staring back at me.
I have since been rejected from 3 of the 6, waitlisted at 1, accepted to 1 and the jury is still out on the last one, which OF COURSE for the sake of a good cliffhanger, is my first choice. This process has definitely put me through the ringer, but I have learned a lot about myself and I learned it from my former self. How is that, you ask? Well...
I am by no means a religious person, however, when I go visit the fam I attend a non-denominational sort of church called U.nity. They focus moreso on the mind and spirit than biblical teachings. During one visit shortly after Christmas, they had us write a letter to ourselves. The letter would contain everything we hoped to achieve in the new year and advice to ourselves. Sort of a deeper New Year's resolution I suppose. They collect the letters once you have sealed it in an envelope and addressed it. They then mail you the letter around the same time the following year, so you can see how far you have come. Well about a month ago, I received my letter from myself dated 12/26/04. It was almost a prophecy of sorts and downright frightening but wonderful all the same. Here is an excerpt:
"This year, you will take the GMAT as many times as you need to. You will apply to any school you want to go to regardless of credentials. Listen to your spirit and trust your heart. Quell the screaming of inner doubt. I repeat, DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT SCARED PERSON. Take the time to self-assess. Do not hide in the sand. Wishing you love and achievement..."
Well, I took the GMAT 4 times as I said before and did apply to any school I wanted to go to regardless of what my mind was telling me. And today, the school that accepted me called to offer me a full scholarship based on the improvement in my fourth and final retake of the GMAT. I am truly a very lucky person and am so grateful for this opportunity. It looks like I had it in me all the time.
So, I'll still sit and wait for my first choice to give me an answer, but it's a wonderful feeling to see your hard work, tears, frustration and sweat pay off. I am truly thankful.
I've been in the abyss known as the business school application process. And boy is that mess DEEEEEEEEP!
RECAP:
After my birthday, I hunkered down and began applying to six business schools which will remain nameless. I traveled during the month of October and November to their various diversity recruiting weekends and met loads of wonderful supportive people who have since become my therapists and confidants. I also took the GMAT not once, not twice but a whopping 4 times. Yup, that's right I like punishment. After getting my apps out of the way, I laid in wait for the decisions to roll in. This is where my life spiraled into a terrible neurosis of checking my e-mail every five seconds and logging onto my application account to see the word "SUBMITTED" staring back at me.
I have since been rejected from 3 of the 6, waitlisted at 1, accepted to 1 and the jury is still out on the last one, which OF COURSE for the sake of a good cliffhanger, is my first choice. This process has definitely put me through the ringer, but I have learned a lot about myself and I learned it from my former self. How is that, you ask? Well...
I am by no means a religious person, however, when I go visit the fam I attend a non-denominational sort of church called U.nity. They focus moreso on the mind and spirit than biblical teachings. During one visit shortly after Christmas, they had us write a letter to ourselves. The letter would contain everything we hoped to achieve in the new year and advice to ourselves. Sort of a deeper New Year's resolution I suppose. They collect the letters once you have sealed it in an envelope and addressed it. They then mail you the letter around the same time the following year, so you can see how far you have come. Well about a month ago, I received my letter from myself dated 12/26/04. It was almost a prophecy of sorts and downright frightening but wonderful all the same. Here is an excerpt:
"This year, you will take the GMAT as many times as you need to. You will apply to any school you want to go to regardless of credentials. Listen to your spirit and trust your heart. Quell the screaming of inner doubt. I repeat, DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT SCARED PERSON. Take the time to self-assess. Do not hide in the sand. Wishing you love and achievement..."
Well, I took the GMAT 4 times as I said before and did apply to any school I wanted to go to regardless of what my mind was telling me. And today, the school that accepted me called to offer me a full scholarship based on the improvement in my fourth and final retake of the GMAT. I am truly a very lucky person and am so grateful for this opportunity. It looks like I had it in me all the time.
So, I'll still sit and wait for my first choice to give me an answer, but it's a wonderful feeling to see your hard work, tears, frustration and sweat pay off. I am truly thankful.

1 Comments:
Nicole, we've missed you lately. More importantly, we knew you could do it. Congrats!
Post a Comment
<< Home