If I knew then, what I know now...
I was just sitting here thinking about all of my friends from high school and college that still live at home. If I could live at home making the salary I am making, I would be living a killer lifestyle. They're always partying and buying ish they don't need while I pay rent. Damn what a life.
Anyway, the point of this blog was to tell any of you who make a decent salary and live at home to save your pennies and buy a house, condo, co-op, etc. the minute you can. If I had come home like my parents wanted me to, I would be banking my salary instead of throwing my money into a blackhole called "rent".
Sad thing is once you have ventured outside of the nest, there is no going back. I enjoy coming home at all hours of the night or not coming home at all with no questions asked. Some may have that kind of freedom with their parents, but I could never consciously do those things while living under their roof. However, I think a loss of freedom for a few years to gain a lifetime is a small sacrifice. I only wish someone had talked that twentysomething college student out of moving into her own apartment upon graduation. That is my only regret. If could change one thing, that's it.
So if I knew then what I know now, after college I would have moved back in with my parents, banked this money and would be looking at condos as we speak. To all you youngins out there, own property. This is so important, esp. for all my latino and african-american brothas and sistas. We are slowly gaining an interest in the housing market but have a long way to go. My goal is to own something by the time I am thirty. Here's hoping...
And to all my college age friends out there, swallow your pride, move in with mom and dad and save that money. Become a homeowner.
Anyway, the point of this blog was to tell any of you who make a decent salary and live at home to save your pennies and buy a house, condo, co-op, etc. the minute you can. If I had come home like my parents wanted me to, I would be banking my salary instead of throwing my money into a blackhole called "rent".
Sad thing is once you have ventured outside of the nest, there is no going back. I enjoy coming home at all hours of the night or not coming home at all with no questions asked. Some may have that kind of freedom with their parents, but I could never consciously do those things while living under their roof. However, I think a loss of freedom for a few years to gain a lifetime is a small sacrifice. I only wish someone had talked that twentysomething college student out of moving into her own apartment upon graduation. That is my only regret. If could change one thing, that's it.
So if I knew then what I know now, after college I would have moved back in with my parents, banked this money and would be looking at condos as we speak. To all you youngins out there, own property. This is so important, esp. for all my latino and african-american brothas and sistas. We are slowly gaining an interest in the housing market but have a long way to go. My goal is to own something by the time I am thirty. Here's hoping...
And to all my college age friends out there, swallow your pride, move in with mom and dad and save that money. Become a homeowner.

1 Comments:
I for one could never have moved back in with my folks after college. They're wonderful people, but I don't want to end up on the news for doing anything rash, know what I mean? Moving back home would have reversed all the growth I did by going away for those 4 years. I chose instead to put up with a crappy job for what seemed like an eternity simply because housing was included and it enabled me to save up cash and pay off debt. I now have a house of my own and I'm thankful that I had the patience and focus to take the steps that got me here. There are alternatives to living at home, but if you do just make the most of it...
Post a Comment
<< Home