Monday, January 10, 2005

Blogging has its downside...

I learned a new term today. The term is "dooced" as in "I got dooced today". Dooced is getting fired from your job for writing unsavory things about your company or fellow employees in a blog or website. Surely, this cannot be a lawful form of termination...unless of course you were blogging at work. Seems shocking to me that something you do during your "personal time" could get you fired on the work front. It's writing. Wouldn't that be a violation of free speech, especially if the company's name or the employees names were never mentioned? For the record, I was not dooced, I read about it in two other blogs of people who were. It's really a shame and I hope they find jobs soon.

The more open, mobile and communicative the world becomes...the more stiffling it seems.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Blaize said...

Yeah, Blogging does have it's downsides. I am assuming you're talking about Jessica Cutler (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48909-2004May22.html) who got fired from her lil' 25K job for writing about how she gets paid for sex by a married chief of staff at one of the government agencies. Her Blog was recreated and posted and after reading it (http://washingtoniennearchive.blogspot.com/)I had to wonder what she was thinking! I mean, it's one thing to have a diary - something you keep to yourself but to post it on the World Wide Web? Come on! But luckily Ms. Cutler didn't really care about being fired because she plans to parley her indiscretions into a money making deal. But all in all, if people are going to put so much of themselves out there like that then they need to be careful! I wouldn't be worried about being 'dooced' from a 25K job but once you start hitting big numbers you gotta watch yourself! Anyway sis, see you on the other side! Luv you!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Actually, it comes from the website www.dooce.com. This nice lady got fired for dishing the dirt about her co-workers and hence the term "dooced" came to be.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Norman Rose said...

i think it's because if an enterprising person in the company can locate an employee's blog, so can others; and companies hate to have their precious internal secrets/ dirty laundry disseminated without being filtered through the marketing team. i had a few friends who were reprimanded because of that. and there are often nods to privacy within people's work contracts... and employees usually don't have the time/ money/ energy to fight firings.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home