Only me...
So, my friend Sarunya and I went out to dinner tonight to a great restaurant called Son Cubano. Good times...
After dinner, Sarunya had time to kill before her train so, we went to a bar to grab a drink. I spot this bar across the street and we head that way. Did you ever walk into a situation and feel like you were in an episode of the Twilight Zone? We walked into this bar...and something wasn't right. The majority of the men in the bar were of hispanic descent. Salsa music was blaring and cheap tinsel was sparkling on sea green walls that hadn't been painted since the Nixon administration. Female bartenders were dressed in rather skanky clothing (corsets and skirts that didn't hide anything, including rolls of excess fat - if it weren't for the cesarian scar on one of them, I would have sworn they were men). As we sat down at the bar, I realized we were the only female patrons in the place.
Immediately, some guy offered to buy us drinks. Sarunya and I looked at each other, shrugged (the "When in Rome" shrug) and obliged. The guy started talking to us and was hitting on us in a rather obvious manner. Then something clicked...he was gay! Perhaps it was the rather feminine speak or the hand gestures that tipped me off. Hey, I hang out in gay bars...no issue there. The issue is getting hit on by guys that I would swear are gay. Very odd. At one point I headed to the bathroom, and this guy was watching me as I walked. I thought to myself "He is totally checking me out!" Until I got to the bathroom and he said, "The light is inside the bathroom. Ok honey?" complete with feminine lisp. He might as well have called me "girlfriend". Not many straight men use the term "honey". At least not in that context...
So yes, only I could stumble into a gay, hispanic dive bar in Union Square where the men apparently had no idea they were gay.
***Anecdote: While on vacation visiting the family, we went to a supper club. I ask the waiter, "What's the 'vegetable of the day'?" He responds in a rather erudite tone "Actually, it's a vegetable MELODY with broccoli, string beans, carrots, etc." Um, right...
You can't make this stuff up guys!
One last thing, I found out Mahi Mahi is dolphin meat today. I love Mahi Mahi...how could I have eaten a dolphin!?!?!?! I ate Flipper! Oh the horror!
After dinner, Sarunya had time to kill before her train so, we went to a bar to grab a drink. I spot this bar across the street and we head that way. Did you ever walk into a situation and feel like you were in an episode of the Twilight Zone? We walked into this bar...and something wasn't right. The majority of the men in the bar were of hispanic descent. Salsa music was blaring and cheap tinsel was sparkling on sea green walls that hadn't been painted since the Nixon administration. Female bartenders were dressed in rather skanky clothing (corsets and skirts that didn't hide anything, including rolls of excess fat - if it weren't for the cesarian scar on one of them, I would have sworn they were men). As we sat down at the bar, I realized we were the only female patrons in the place.
Immediately, some guy offered to buy us drinks. Sarunya and I looked at each other, shrugged (the "When in Rome" shrug) and obliged. The guy started talking to us and was hitting on us in a rather obvious manner. Then something clicked...he was gay! Perhaps it was the rather feminine speak or the hand gestures that tipped me off. Hey, I hang out in gay bars...no issue there. The issue is getting hit on by guys that I would swear are gay. Very odd. At one point I headed to the bathroom, and this guy was watching me as I walked. I thought to myself "He is totally checking me out!" Until I got to the bathroom and he said, "The light is inside the bathroom. Ok honey?" complete with feminine lisp. He might as well have called me "girlfriend". Not many straight men use the term "honey". At least not in that context...
So yes, only I could stumble into a gay, hispanic dive bar in Union Square where the men apparently had no idea they were gay.
***Anecdote: While on vacation visiting the family, we went to a supper club. I ask the waiter, "What's the 'vegetable of the day'?" He responds in a rather erudite tone "Actually, it's a vegetable MELODY with broccoli, string beans, carrots, etc." Um, right...
You can't make this stuff up guys!
One last thing, I found out Mahi Mahi is dolphin meat today. I love Mahi Mahi...how could I have eaten a dolphin!?!?!?! I ate Flipper! Oh the horror!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home