When to consider switching professions...
Case in point: My job at an unnamed record label.
I spent the better portion of the day discussing the ramifications of including "3 fucks and 1 bullshit" in a song with various co-workers while having to pretend that my job was tantamount to Doctors without Borders. "So, do you think we can remove the 3 fucks and leave in the bullshit? Or do you think we need to remove it? The problem is that the 3 fucks are in the chorus..."
The latter portion of the afternoon was spent explaining slang to an attorney and then discussing etymology of the word "gat". "What's a gat?" "It's a gun." "Well, why don't they just say gun?" "I dunno. Gat sounds more menacing, maybe?" "But where did the word come from?" "I think it was that gun Al Capone used back in the day..."
I kid you not.
My personal favorite was worrying about getting permission to use a song because the person we needed to sign off was in jail. Thank goodness for visiting day! Without visiting days and phone privileges, the music industry would be at a standstill. Just ask Suge!
My love/hate relationship with the music industry will never cease.
I spent the better portion of the day discussing the ramifications of including "3 fucks and 1 bullshit" in a song with various co-workers while having to pretend that my job was tantamount to Doctors without Borders. "So, do you think we can remove the 3 fucks and leave in the bullshit? Or do you think we need to remove it? The problem is that the 3 fucks are in the chorus..."
The latter portion of the afternoon was spent explaining slang to an attorney and then discussing etymology of the word "gat". "What's a gat?" "It's a gun." "Well, why don't they just say gun?" "I dunno. Gat sounds more menacing, maybe?" "But where did the word come from?" "I think it was that gun Al Capone used back in the day..."
I kid you not.
My personal favorite was worrying about getting permission to use a song because the person we needed to sign off was in jail. Thank goodness for visiting day! Without visiting days and phone privileges, the music industry would be at a standstill. Just ask Suge!
My love/hate relationship with the music industry will never cease.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home