Monday, March 14, 2005

Why Education is Important

I have shared many of my roommate-isms with my friends and decided I should just post a few of them for the amusement of others. My roommate is a nice girl but she is not the brightest bulb in the box. I have learned to tune her out when I am watching TV because some of the things she says are, well, stupid. Here are a few of my favorites:

- I was watching something about Studio 54. As I was marveling about drug use and the high life people led back then, my roommate says "Yeah, cocaine was a real delicatessen back then." Oh boy.

- I was commenting on a hat someone was wearing on TV and was wondering why someone would walk out of the house with a hat like that on their head, when my roommate said "Oh, he's just wearing that hat for joust." Um, I think she meant jest...either that or the guy was a knight in training and I somehow missed that fact.

- Watching the Democratic Convention, she says "I LOVE Obama Barack" Yup, and I love that Kerry John guy too.

- Overheard my roommate speaking with someone on the phone describing the snowy weather in NY. "Yeah girl, there is so much now people are climbing over snowbounds". Uh...I think she meant snow mounds. Right... (see blog titled "People Say The Darndest Things")


Just so you know, when she says things like this, I go and write them down. Sometimes I am such in disbelief at her misuse of words I HAVE to write them down.

So do you see why I have to tune her out? It's becoming way to difficult to keep a straight face when she says some of these things. One of my friends suggested I give her a dictionary, but something tells me she may take offense to that sort of thing. Am I an intellectual snob? Maybe. Or maybe I just feel like people should think before they speak OR not use words they don't know the meanings to. Is that so much to ask??? Sad...so sad. Stay in school kids! Reading is fundamental!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Blaize said...

I agree with you on that one! Sometimes people shouldn't use it. But sometimes people don't know that they're using it wrong.For instance you know how I am. I might know the word but can't spell it (for naught *LOL*!) or I've seen it written and know what it means but if I say it, I may mispronounce it. For instance, I will never forget the time I first learned the word "Superfluous". I saw it written down, I looked it up but when I went to use it, it came out as SUPER-FLU-OUS."
My friend Dana just stared at me and let me in on the secret. Su-per-flu-ous. *LOL*!!!So sometimes people just need to be told! ;-)

1:17 PM  
Blogger ManNMotion said...

LOL!!! You kill me with some of your posts! You go and write these down!! (After reading this, I think your roomie might be commenting on my blog from time to time).

11:27 PM  
Blogger Sivad said...

i can't believe you go and write the stuff she says down. LMAO!

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home