Saturday, February 12, 2005

Boughetto Gurrl

I caught myself being boughetto today. I don't normally use this word but in this case its meaning is entirely appropriate. For the past couple of days, the light has been out in my kitchen. So, I would just turn on the light in the surrounding area (ie - kitchen and hallway) and cook that way. Hey, when you use a George Foreman grill, it ain't that difficult! LOL! I was entirely ready to just live like that for a while until I remembered that my friend is coming over for dinner today and I can't cook without light. I am going ALL OUT. We're talking spinach and proscuitto stuffed steak, biscuits, potato apple gratin, chocolate mousse, the whole nine. Hey, whoever came up with the saying "the whole nine yards"? Whole nine of what? Shouldn't it be whole ten? Why nine? Odd...let me go check...this is what I came up with. Not very helpful but it's believeable. Ok, enough with my stange etymology word origin obsession. What was I talking about? Right. Cooking with no light. I mean, I think I can throw down but I don't need the added handicap of darkness. Not to mention the yuck factor...

So...

I finally took my lazy ass to Duane Reade to buy some bulbs. Yeah, I don't keep bulbs in the house. I have a problem...I realize this. When I got home, I checked the utility closet and the "community ladder" was missing. I call it the "community ladder" because it's shared by my building AND the sister building next door. One ladder for like 30 units and our ceilings are REALLY high. That, coupled with the fact that I am all of 5'1 proves to be an issue. But I thought, "Eh, It'll show up tomorrow." Tomorrow came, no ladder. Which brings us to today, D-day, throw down in the kitchen, Food Network, Bon Appetit, Betty Crocker day and there is no light in my kitchen. Well, this calls for drastic measures...

I walk into my apartment and search for things to stand on. Again, may I restate the fact that I am 5'1!?!?!?!?! I try the a chair, nope, a step stool, nope, a foot rest...you guessed it, NOPE. Then I think, "Well, maybe I can climb up on the counter and change the light from there." Visions of me laying on the kitchen floor with my head cracked open come to mind and I look for another course of action. And THEN, it comes to me...

I am sure you are all wondering by now, "Where does the boughetto part come in?" Well, I bet you don't know many people that are cooking a gourmet meal with some
Christmas lights strung up in their kitchen...
DO YA? Didn't think so.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard "boughetto" in this lifetime, but that is too funny. However, I think you can pull it off, or play it off, by what? Acting as if you were trying to be creative. LoL

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always known this cut-and-pasted explanation to be the derivation of "the whole 9 yards" : The B-17 also had multiple .50 caliber machine guns for defensive purposes. The phrase “the whole 9 yards” came from the use of nine yards of linked ammunition fed through the Browning machine guns. Hermann Goring, Luftwaffe Field Marshal said “had Germany had the .50 caliber Browning, the Battle of Britain would have been different.”

Oh, and if you can throw down like that with just Christmas lights, replacing the overhead light will classify your cooking as an addictive narcotic :).

4:15 PM  
Blogger Ms. Blaize said...

(*HANDS ACROSS FACE*)

Oh lawd! Your sister is oh soooooo embarrassed right now. Christmas lights??? Well.... wait a minute... I guess it depends... were they the gaudy red and green christmas lights or the soft white light kind? THAT's what makes a difference girlie!! Oh and why couldn't you just tell your roommate to bend over and climb on her back? I mean... what else is she good for? Hmmmm?

Your sis

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm 93% sure "the whole nine yards" has to do with how much fabric was standard on a bolt back in the day.

speaking of back in the day, the nicole i used to live with was so boughetto she didn't know it was boughetto to cook by christmas lights. she was busy cooking in the microwave and washing her larger dishes in the bathtub.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Rainmayun said...

that isn't boughetto, that is engineering brilliance!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home