Songs to Drink Alone By
There are certain songs out there that are only good for a) writing embarrassing letters to your ex that you will hopefully never mail, b) contemplating life and loathing your existence, and c) mixing yourself a hard drink (Incredible Hulk, Martini, etc.) and singing until you cry like a b*tch a$$. Here are a few...
Songs to get drink alone by (in no particular order):
"All By Myself" - Eric Carmen
If this isn't a depressing a$$ drinking song, I don't know what is. Perfect for singing with a slight slurr and immediately conjures up feelings of self-pity. As seen in "Bridget Jones' Diary"...
Key Lyric - "Livin' alone, I think of all the friends I've known, When I dial the telephone, Nobody's home"
Makes you wonder if Mr. Carmen was hitting the bottle when he wrote this.
"Against All Odds (Take A Good Look At Me Now" - Phil Collins
Another song just asking to be sung off pitch and slurred.
Key Lyric - "So take a look at me now, 'cause there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face
Take a look at me now, 'cause there's just an empty space
And you coming back to me is against all odds and that's what I've got to face"
Someone hurt Phil...bad.
"Use Me" - Bill Withers
A dysfunctional relationship anthem for singing from the mountain tops, or from your couch on your 5th Henny and Coke.
Key Lyric - "Yes, I wanna spread the news, That if it feels this good gettin' used, Oh ya just keep on usin me, Until ya use me up"
Sometimes the lovin' is just so good you can't care about anything else...
"For No One" - The Beatles
The Beatles remind you love sucks...but breakups are even worse...
Key Lyrics - "And in her eyes you see nothing, No sign of love behind the tears, Cried for no one, A love that should have lasted years"
Good to know love hurt as bad in 1966 as it does now.
"Crying" - Roy Orbison
Excerpt from allmusic.com "Under no circumstances should Roy Orbison's "Crying" ever be listened to by anyone who's even remotely depressed. The grief, regret, and eternal damnation to an existence drenched in tears that Orbison vividly invests with typically breathtaking vocal bravado could be overwhelming enough to drive anyone so inclined to end it all."
'Nuff said...song should come with a disclaimer
Key Lyric - THE WHOLE DAMN SONG
"Everybody Hurts" - REM
Although the lyrics are meant to be hopeful, Michael Stipe's voice makes you want to howl and and rock yourself like a baby while you contemplate your sad existence.
Key Lyric - "When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
when you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on.
Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes."
I think I am hurtin' right now, Mike.
"Why Was I Born" - Ella Fitzgerald
Title sums it up. Perfect fit for that quarterlife crisis.
Key Lyric - "Why was I born, Why am I living, What do I get, What am I giving, Why do I want a thing, I daren't hope for, What can I hope for, I wish I knew"
Ok, I know I lose what modicum of street cred I had for quoting a song with the word 'daren't' in it but dayum, this is a sad song. And I know I lose additional points for using the word modicum. F*ck you.
"Ship Without A Sail" - Ella Fitzgerald
Yes, Ella is my girl...and if you were feeling down she is right there with you. Well, with you and Billie Holiday, cause she was one sad a$$ chick too. How usful is a ship without a sail?
Key Lyric - "All alone, all at sea. Why does nobody care for me? When theres no love to hold my love Why is my heart so frail? Like a ship without a sail."
Depressed yet? Good...almost finished...
"Blame it on My Youth" - Various People but I prefer Jamie Cullum
Perfect song for naive unrequited love. Best taken with a dirty martini...
Key Lyric - "If, you were on my mind, all night and day, blame it on my youth
If, I forgot to eat, and sleep and pray, blame it on my youth
If I cried a little bit, when first I learned the truth
Don't blame it on my heart, blame it on my youth"
That is some powerful stuff...a person that makes you forget to eat AND sleep. That is serious mess.
Well, I could go on forever with this. Feel free to leave your "feeling sorry for myself songs" below. Although some of my choices are a little obscure, the lyrics and liquor speak for themselves. So when you are sad and alone, feel free to slur and sing sloppily at the top of your lungs. I will understand.
Songs to get drink alone by (in no particular order):
"All By Myself" - Eric Carmen
If this isn't a depressing a$$ drinking song, I don't know what is. Perfect for singing with a slight slurr and immediately conjures up feelings of self-pity. As seen in "Bridget Jones' Diary"...
Key Lyric - "Livin' alone, I think of all the friends I've known, When I dial the telephone, Nobody's home"
Makes you wonder if Mr. Carmen was hitting the bottle when he wrote this.
"Against All Odds (Take A Good Look At Me Now" - Phil Collins
Another song just asking to be sung off pitch and slurred.
Key Lyric - "So take a look at me now, 'cause there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face
Take a look at me now, 'cause there's just an empty space
And you coming back to me is against all odds and that's what I've got to face"
Someone hurt Phil...bad.
"Use Me" - Bill Withers
A dysfunctional relationship anthem for singing from the mountain tops, or from your couch on your 5th Henny and Coke.
Key Lyric - "Yes, I wanna spread the news, That if it feels this good gettin' used, Oh ya just keep on usin me, Until ya use me up"
Sometimes the lovin' is just so good you can't care about anything else...
"For No One" - The Beatles
The Beatles remind you love sucks...but breakups are even worse...
Key Lyrics - "And in her eyes you see nothing, No sign of love behind the tears, Cried for no one, A love that should have lasted years"
Good to know love hurt as bad in 1966 as it does now.
"Crying" - Roy Orbison
Excerpt from allmusic.com "Under no circumstances should Roy Orbison's "Crying" ever be listened to by anyone who's even remotely depressed. The grief, regret, and eternal damnation to an existence drenched in tears that Orbison vividly invests with typically breathtaking vocal bravado could be overwhelming enough to drive anyone so inclined to end it all."
'Nuff said...song should come with a disclaimer
Key Lyric - THE WHOLE DAMN SONG
"Everybody Hurts" - REM
Although the lyrics are meant to be hopeful, Michael Stipe's voice makes you want to howl and and rock yourself like a baby while you contemplate your sad existence.
Key Lyric - "When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
when you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on.
Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes."
I think I am hurtin' right now, Mike.
"Why Was I Born" - Ella Fitzgerald
Title sums it up. Perfect fit for that quarterlife crisis.
Key Lyric - "Why was I born, Why am I living, What do I get, What am I giving, Why do I want a thing, I daren't hope for, What can I hope for, I wish I knew"
Ok, I know I lose what modicum of street cred I had for quoting a song with the word 'daren't' in it but dayum, this is a sad song. And I know I lose additional points for using the word modicum. F*ck you.
"Ship Without A Sail" - Ella Fitzgerald
Yes, Ella is my girl...and if you were feeling down she is right there with you. Well, with you and Billie Holiday, cause she was one sad a$$ chick too. How usful is a ship without a sail?
Key Lyric - "All alone, all at sea. Why does nobody care for me? When theres no love to hold my love Why is my heart so frail? Like a ship without a sail."
Depressed yet? Good...almost finished...
"Blame it on My Youth" - Various People but I prefer Jamie Cullum
Perfect song for naive unrequited love. Best taken with a dirty martini...
Key Lyric - "If, you were on my mind, all night and day, blame it on my youth
If, I forgot to eat, and sleep and pray, blame it on my youth
If I cried a little bit, when first I learned the truth
Don't blame it on my heart, blame it on my youth"
That is some powerful stuff...a person that makes you forget to eat AND sleep. That is serious mess.
Well, I could go on forever with this. Feel free to leave your "feeling sorry for myself songs" below. Although some of my choices are a little obscure, the lyrics and liquor speak for themselves. So when you are sad and alone, feel free to slur and sing sloppily at the top of your lungs. I will understand.

6 Comments:
There are those out there, Miss, who care about you much more than you know. Maybe you should have a lonely drink with them once in a while..
I know, I know, I know times are changin'
It's time we all reach out for something new
That means you too...
-- Prince: Purple Rain
Stevie Wonder's "All in Love is Fair" is one of the worst songs to listen to when drunk and broken hearted....at least, that's what my mom says. lol
JINKS!! I took a break from my CDs and was channel surfing. Wouldn't ya know it? "Against All Odds" is playing. I driving along with tears welling up in my eyes. I'm like "WTH? I don't have an amoretto sour OR a broken heart, so WHY am I about to cry??". LoL
A-nonee-mouse - Just to clarify, no one broke up with me and I am not sad. Life is alright. I was merely listening to "All By Myself" and got inspired.
YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe - Funny you should comment on my blog as I JUST caught the Color Purple on TV last weekend. Love the name! I can't believe I missed "All In Love is Fair"! That song is definitely a winner! And yeah "Against All Odds" is up there with Whitney's "One Moment in Time"...no alcohol or messy break up necessary!
Those ate excellenet songs to drink to, great post.
Wow. You would mention "One Moment in Time", huh? I was on the road, about to leave for Boot Camp when that song came on. I can't believe that song is like 17-18 years old, along with "My perogative". (giggle)
Post a Comment
<< Home